See the datasets sorted according to the Journal / Conference they first appeared in.
Complex Text Containers
- MSRA Text Detection 500 Database (MSRA-TD500)
- The Street View Text Dataset
- The Street View House Numbers (SVHN) Dataset
- NEOCR: Natural Environment OCR Dataset
- KAIST Scene Text Database
- ICDAR 2003 Robust Reading Competitions
- ICDAR 2005 Robust Reading Competitions
- Table Ground Truth for the UW3 and UNLV datasets
- The DocLab Dataset for Evaluating Table Interpretation Methods
- PRImA Layout Analysis Dataset
- DFKI Dewarping Contest Dataset (CBDAR 2007) The dataset, that was used in the CBDAR 2007 Dewarping Contest, contains 102 camera captured documents with their corresponding ASCII text ground-truth. Additionally, text-line level ground-truth was also prepared to benchmark curled text-line segmentation algorithms. Part of the dataset (76 out of 102 pages) were also scanned with a flat-bed scanner to create a ground-truth image for image based evaluation of page dewarping algorithms.
- APTI: Arabic Printed Text Image Database
- [LRDE Document Binarization Dataset (LRDE DBD)]
- Chem-Infty Dataset: A ground-truthed dataset of Chemical Structure Images
- Braille Dataset - Shiraz University
- TradeMarks Image Database - By way of Benoit Huet, 999 trademark and logo images
Mixed Content Documents
- Tobacco800 Document Image Database - composed of 1290 document images collected and scanned using a wide variety of equipment over time.
On-line and Off-line
- CASIA Online and Offline Chinese Handwriting Databases - The Chinese handwriting datasets were produced by 1,020 writers using Anoto pen on papers, such that both online and offline data were obtained. Both the online and the offline dataset consists of three subsets for isolated characters (DB1.0–1.2, about 3.9 million samples of 7,356 classes) and three for handwritten texts (DB2.0–2.2, about 5,090 pages and 1.35 million characters). The datasets are free for academic research for handwritten document segmentation and retrieval, character and text line recognition, writer adaptation and identification.
- UNIPEN database (Click on link 'CDROMs')
- The Informal Competition of Recognizing On-line Words (ICROW) by the Unipen Foundation
- The Rimes Database comprises 12,723 handwritten pages corresponding to 5605 mails of two to three pages. It was collected by asking volunteers to write a letter given one of nine predefined scenarios related to business/customer relations. The dataset has been used in numerous competitions in ICDAR and ICFHR. It is available for research purposes only, through the Web site of the authors.
- IAM Database - A full English sentence database for off-line handwriting recognition.
- The GERMANA Dataset - GERMANA is the result of digitising and annotating a 764-page Spanish manuscript entitled “Noticias y documentos relativos a Doña Germana de Foix, ́última Reina de Aragón", written in 1891 by Vicent Salvador. It contains approximately 21K text lines manually marked and transcribed by palaeography experts.
- The RODRIGO Dataset - RODRIGO is the result of digitising and annotating a manuscript dated 1545. Digitisation was done at 300dpi in color by the Spanish Culture Ministry. The original manuscript is a 853-page bound volume, entitled "Historia de España del arçobispo Don Rodrigo", completely written in old Castilian (Spanish) by a single author. Annotation exists for text blocks, lines and transcriptions, resulting in approximately 20K lines and 231K running words from a lexicon of 17K words.
- MARG- Medical Article Records Groundtruth - A freely-available repository of document page images and their associated textual and layout data. The data has been reviewed and corrected to establish its "ground truth". Please contact Dr. George Thoma (email@example.com) at the National Library of Medicine for more information.
- Hindi font samples by Andras Kornai, June 5 2003
Software and Tools
- GEDI: Groundtruthing Environment for Document Images - A generic annotation tool for scanned text documents.
- PixLabeler - a research tool for labeling elements in a document image at a pixel level.
- OCRopus(tm) - The OCRopus(tm) open source document analysis and OCR system
- The Hidden Markov Model Toolkit (HTK) - a portable toolkit for building and manipulating hidden Markov models
- Bidirectional Long-Short Term Memory Networks - Implementation of Bidirectional Long-Short Term Memory Networks (BLSTM) combined with Connectionist Temporal Classification (CTC) - including examples for Arabic recognition.
- SRILM - The SRI Language Modeling Toolkit - SRILM is a toolkit for building and applying statistical language models (LMs), primarily for use in speech recognition, statistical tagging and segmentation, and machine translation.
- Torch 5 - a Matlab-like environment for state-of-the-art machine learning algorithms.
- PRTools - a Matlab based toolbox for pattern recognition
This page is editable only by TC11 Officers .