IAPR TC11 Newsletter 2019 06
Click on the buttons below to view sections of the newsletter.
- Message from the Editor
- Dates and Deadlines
- Upcoming Conferences and Events
- Call for ICDAR 2019 Doctoral Consortium
- Summer School
- SSDA 2019: Call for Participation *(repost)*
- Free Books/eBooks for Review in IAPR Newsletter *(repost)*
- TC11 Datasets Repository *(repost)*
- Student Industrial Internship Opportunities (IAPR) *(repost)*
As in previous editions, this year’s International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition (ICDAR) will feature a Doctoral Consortium, which offers Ph.D. students the opportunity to present their research plans and receive feedback and mentoring from senior researchers. You will find more details on how to apply in this newsletter. The submission deadline is July 10th.
Further upcoming deadlines include the registration for the Summer School (SSDA 2019) on Deep Learning Applications for Document Analysis until July 15th.
And don’t forget to register for (ICDAR 2019) until June 30th (Early Bird).
Andreas Fischer, TC11 Communications Officer
( firstname.lastname@example.org )
- June 30: Early bird registration ICDAR 2019
- July 10: Doctoral consortium application ICDAR 2019
- July 15: Summer school registration SSDA 2019
- Nov. 15: Paper submission ICPRAI 2020
Upcoming Conferences and Events
- SSDA 2019, Islamabad, Pakistan (August 19-23, 2019)
- ICDAR 2019, Sydney, Australia (September 22-25, 2019)
2020 and Later
- ICFHR 2020. Dortmund, Germany (September 8-10, 2020)
- DAS 2020. Wuhan, China (May 17-20, 2020)
- ICPRAI 2020. Zhongshan, China (May 12-15, 2020)
- ICDAR 2021. Lausanne, Switzerland (September 7-10, 2021)
- ICFHR 2022. Hyderabad, India (December, 2022)
Call for ICDAR 2019 Doctoral Consortium
Jul 10, 2019 Submission deadline Jul 20, 2019 Acceptance notification and Mentor assignment Sep 05, 2019 Final material due Sep 22, 2019 Doctoral Consortium
In 2011, the first Doctoral Consortium in the Document Analysis community was organized in conjunction with the International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition (ICDAR). This has led to successful successor events at ICDAR 2013, ICDAR 2015 and ICDAR 2017. The tradition of having a Doctoral Consortium as a satelite event to the ICDAR main conference will further be continued at ICDAR 2019 in Sydney, Australia.
The goal of the ICDAR 2019 Doctoral Consortium is to create an opportunity for Ph.D. students to test their research ideas, present their current progress and future plans, and receive constructive criticism and insights related to their future work and career perspectives. A mentor (a senior researcher who is active in the field) will be assigned to each student to provide individual feedback. In addition, students will have the opportunity to present an overview of their research plan during a special poster session.
Participation in the ICDAR 2019 Doctoral Consortium will be limited to 25 students. Prospective participants are encouraged to submit their application by July 10th. The Doctoral Consortium Chairs will then review all applications received. Preference will be given to students who are at a stage in their studies most likely to benefit (i.e., they have identified a research direction and published some initial results, but the thesis is not yet set in stone).
Participation to the Doctoral Consortium will be free for all accepted students, i.e., there will be no extra registration fees!
The ICDAR 2019 Doctoral Consortium will take place the day before the main conference, i.e., on Sunday, September 22.
Students willing to participate should submit a participation package in a single pdf file. The submission package should be prepared using the following LaTeX or MS Word templates:
It should contain the following information:
- Student’s name
- Title of your thesis
- Supervisor of the thesis
- Starting and expected finalization date of the PhD
- Short research plan (1-2 pages about the work)
- Short CV (1-2 pages)
The research plan should contain an overview of the PhD topic, the steps made so far (including a list of publications), and the actions planned before finishing the PhD, especially novel research ideas to be pursued.
Submission should be done before July 10th, 2019 to: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=dcicdar2019
We are looking forward to your participation!
Véronique Eglin and Jean-Christophe Burie (Doctoral Consortium Chairs)
SSDA 2019: Call for Participation (repost)
The 3rd IAPR Summer School on Document Analysis (SSDA 2019) on Deep Learning Applications for Document Analysis will be held on August 19-23, 2019, in Islamabad, Pakistan.
Jun 15, 2019 Early Bird Registration Jul 15, 2019 Regular Registration Aug 15, 2019 Late Registration
The 3rd IAPR Summer School on Document Analysis aims to provide the students and professionals with an in-depth knowledge of document analysis and recognition. The school will enable the participants to explore the emerging areas of document analysis and recognition, and focus on how deep learning is significantly reshaping research and development in this area. This summer school will not only gather best researchers from around the world to train but will also provide a captivating learning environment to the participants enabling them explore their full potential.
- Document Understanding
- Layout Analysis
- Information Retrieval
- Optical Character Recognition
- Jean-Marc Ogier (L3I, France)
- Seiichi Uchida (Kyushu, Japan)
- Marcus Liwicki (Luleå, Sweden)
- Marc-Peter Schambach (Siemens, Germany)
- Foteini Simistra Liwicki (Luleå, Sweden)
- Cheng-Lin Liu (CASIA, China)
- Vassilis Katsouros (ILSP, Greece)
- Muzammil Luqman (L3I, France)
- Sheraz Ahmed (DFKI, Germany)
In addition to the keynote speeches and lectures, hands-on activities will be carried out where participants will be able practice document analysis and deep learning in groups.
National University of Sciences and Technology Islamabad, Pakistan.
- Faisal Shafait (NUST Islamabad)
- Imran A. Siddiqui (Bahria University, Islamabad)
- Khurram Khurshid (IST Islamabad)
- Adnan Ul-Hasan (Deep Learning Lab, NCAI Islamabad)
- Sheikh Faisal Rashid (UET Lahore)
- Muhammad Imran Malik (NUST Islamabad)
Free Books/eBooks for Review in IAPR Newsletter (repost)
Various publishers have partnered with the IAPR Newsletter to offer free books/ebooks to reviewers. If you have interest in and some knowledge of the topic, email us. Depending upon the publisher’s availability, you will get an ebook or a hardcopy book or both. In some cases, the publisher may send the ebook first and the hardcopy after review.
Owais Mehmood, Associate Editor for Book Reviews
( email@example.com )
We are offering the following Springer titles for review:* “Denoising of Photographic Images and Video” by Marcelo Bertalmío (Ed.): https://www.springer.com/book/9783319960289 * “Composing Fisher Kernels from Deep Neural Models” by Tayyaba Azim and Sarah Ahmed: https://www.springer.com/book/9783319985237 * “Nonlinear Eigenproblems in Image Processing and Computer Vision” by Guy Gilboa: http://www.springer.com/book/9783319758466 * “Domain Adaptation in Computer Vision Applications” by Gabriela Csurka (Ed.): http://www.springer.com/book/9783319583464 * “Deep Learning for Biometrics” by Bir Bhanu et al. (Eds.): http://www.springer.com/book/9783319616568 * “Decision Forests for Computer Vision and Medical Image Analysis” by Antonio Criminisi and J. Shotton (Eds.): http://www.springer.com/gb/book/9781447149286 * “Handbook of Biometric Anti-Spoofing, Second Edition” by Sébastien Marcel et al. (Eds.): http://www.springer.com/book/9783319926261 * “Hierarchical Perceptual Grouping for Object Recognition” by Eckart Michaelsen and Jochen Meidow: http://www.springer.com/book/9783030040390 * “Contactless 3D Fingerprint Identification” by Ajay Kumar: http://www.springer.com/book/9783319676807
We are offering the following from CRC Press:
- Image Operators: Image Processing in Python by Jason M.Kinser: https://www.crcpress.com/Image-Operators-Image-Processing-in-Python/Kinser/p/book/9781498796187
- A Beginner’s Guide to Image Pre-processing Techniques by Jyotismita Chaki and Nilanjan Dey: https://www.crcpress.com/A-Beginners-Guide-to-Image-Pre-processing-Techniques/Chaki-Dey/p/book/9781138339316
- Imaging from Spaceborne and Airborne SARs, Calibration, and Applications by Masanobu Shimada: https://www.crcpress.com/Imaging-from-Spaceborne-and-Airborne-SARs-Calibration-and-Applications/Shimada/p/book/9781138197053
- Remote Sensing Time Series Image Processing by Qihao Weng: https://www.crcpress.com/Remote-Sensing-Time-Series-Image-Processing/Weng/p/book/9781138054592
- Remote Sensing and Cognition: Human Factors in Image Interpretation by Raechel A. White, Arzu Coltekin, and Robert R. Hoffman: https://www.crcpress.com/Remote-Sensing-and-Cognition-Human-Factors-in-Image-Interpretation/White-Coltekin-Hoffman/p/book/9781498781565
- High Spatial Resolution Remote Sensing: Data, Analysis, and Applications by Yuhong He and Qihoa Weng: https://www.crcpress.com/High-Spatial-Resolution-Remote-Sensing-Data-Analysis-and-Applications/He-Weng/p/book/9781498767682
- Image Processing and Data Analysis with ERDAS IMAGINE® by Stacy A. C. Nelson and Siamak Khorram: https://www.crcpress.com/Image-Processing-and-Data-Analysis-with-ERDAS-IMAGINE/AC-Nelson-Khorram/p/book/9781138034983
- Planetary Remote Sensing and Mapping by Bo Wu, Kaichang Di, Jürgen Oberst, Irina Karachevtseva: https://www.crcpress.com/Planetary-Remote-Sensing-and-Mapping/Wu-Di-Oberst-Karachevtseva/p/book/9781138584150
- GIS-Based Simulation and Analysis of Intra-Urban Commuting by Yujie Hu, Fahui Wang: https://www.crcpress.com/GIS-Based-Simulation-and-Analysis-of-Intra-Urban-Commuting/Hu-Wang/p/book/9780367023034
- Low Power Circuits for Emerging Applications in Communications, Computing, and Sensing by Jyotismita Chaki, Nilanjan Dey: https://www.crcpress.com/Low-Power-Circuits-for-Emerging-Applications-in-Communications-Computing/Yuan/p/book/9781138580015
- Compressed Sensing for Engineers by Angshul Majumdar: https://www.crcpress.com/Compressed-Sensing-for-Engineers/Majumdar/p/book/9780815365563
- Advanced Applications in Remote Sensing of Agricultural Crops and Natural Vegetation by Prasad S. Thenkabail, John G. Lyon, Alfredo Huete: https://www.crcpress.com/Advanced-Applications-in-Remote-Sensing-of-Agricultural-Crops-and-Natural/Thenkabail-Lyon-Huete/p/book/9781138364769
- Optical Remote Sensing of Ocean Hydrodynamics by Victor Raizer: https://www.crcpress.com/Optical-Remote-Sensing-of-Ocean-Hydrodynamics/Raizer/p/book/9780815360148
- Image Analysis, Classification and Change Detection in Remote Sensing: With Algorithms for Python, Fourth Edition by Morton John Canty: https://www.crcpress.com/Image-Analysis-Classification-and-Change-Detection-in-Remote-Sensing-With/Canty/p/book/9781138613225
We are offering the following from Sebtel Press, Sheffield, UK:
- Principles of Neural Information Theory: Computational Neuroscience and Metabolic Efficiency by Dr. James V. Stone: http://jim-stone.staff.shef.ac.uk/BookNeuralInfo/NeuralInfoMain.html
TC11 Datasets Repository (repost)
TC11 maintains a collection of datasets that can be found online in the TC11 Datasets Repository.
If you have new datasets (e.g., from competitions) that you wish to share with the research community, please use the online upload form. For questions and support, please contact the TC11 Dataset Curator (contact information is below).
Joseph Chazalon (TC11 Dataset Curator)
( firstname.lastname@example.org )
Student Industrial Internship Opportunities (IAPR) (repost)
IAPR’s Industrial Liaison Committee is pleased to announce the opening of its Company Internship Brokerage List.
The web page lists internship opportunities for students at different levels of education and specialism. We expect many additional internship opportunities to be listed here as the community becomes more aware of the site.
IAPR Company Internship Brokerage List:
Bob Fisher, Chair, IAPR Industrial Liason Committee
( email@example.com )
Call for Contributions: To contribute news items, please send a short email to the editor, Andreas Fischer (). Contributions might include conference and workshop announcements/updates/reports, career opportunities, book reviews, or anything else of interest to the TC-11 community.
Subscription: This newsletter is sent to subscribers of the IAPR TC11 mailing list. To join the TC-11 mailing list, please click on this link: Join the TC-11 Mailing List. To manage your subscription, please visit the mailing list homepage: TC-11 Mailing List Homepage.