Within the International Association for Pattern Recognition, Technical Committee 11 is concerned with theory and application of Reading Systems. The goal is to understand and develop systems which are able to analyze media containing character symbols and will return an encoded representation of the text content and structure.
This area covers research in the off-line recognition of printed texts and handwritten material, research on the automatic on-line recognition of handwriting as in pen-computing applications, as well as research in the analysis of electronic documents such as web pages. Applications include digital libraries, pen-based computing, check and mail reading, signature verification, web mining and content repurposing, web security using human interactive proofs, textual content analysis in videos, and historical document preservation and archiving.
The research topics cover all levels of processing, starting with the image or planar coordinates delivered by sensory technology, the necessary image and signal-processing stages, the subsequent segmentation and normalization stages, to feature extraction and selection, classification methods, statistical and syntactical pattern recognition and machine learning techniques.
- 1 What's New?
- 2 TC11 Officers
- 3 Research Areas
- 4 Activities
- 5 Newsletters
- 6 Reports
- 7 DAS Discussion Groups
- 8 Logo
August 24, 2016
- The August edition of TC11 newsletter has been available.
July 21, 2016
- The July edition of TC11 newsletter has been available.
June 27, 2016
- The June edition of TC11 newsletter has been available.
May 25, 2016
- The May edition of TC11 newsletter has been available.
April 27, 2016
- The April edition of TC11 newsletter has been available.
March 17, 2016
- The March edition of TC11 newsletter has been available.
- Prof. Koichi Kise (Osaka Prefecture University, Japan)
- Dr. Dimosthenis Karatzas (Universitat Autónoma de Barcelona, Spain)
- Dr. Masakazu Iwamura (Osaka Prefecture University, Japan)
- Dr. phil. nat. Marcus Liwicki (German Research Centre for Artificial Intelligence, Germany & University of Fribourg, Switzerland)
- Assistant Dataset curator
- Dr. Volkmar Frinken (UC Davis & Onu Technology, USA)
Newsletter editor & Education officer
- Prof. Gernot A. Fink (TU Dortmund University , Germany)
The TC-11 of the IAPR has spawned a number of lively activities in the area of pattern recognition: three conference series, a project for the benchmarking of on-line handwriting recognizers, and numerous workshops.
We have two conferences and one workshop related to the TC11.
- International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition (ICDAR)
- International Conference on Frontiers in Handwriting Recognition (ICFHR)
- Document Analysis Systems (DAS)
Part of the mission of TC11 is to promote high quality educational activities related to Reading Systems and Graphics Recognition. The "TC10/TC11 Summer School" is intended to become the prime educational activity of IAPR TC11 (Reading Systems) and TC10 (Graphics Recognition). The Summer School is meant to be a training activity where participants are exposed to the latest trends and techniques of Reading Systems and Graphics Recognition.
TC10/TC11 Summer Schools will be organised in a bi-annual basis on even years, interleaved with ICDAR conferences which are organised on odd years. A call for bids to host the TC10 / TC11 Summer School is distributed by TC10 and TC11 about six months before the ICDAR conference of the year before the School should takes place.
Any consortium interested in making a proposal to host the TC10/TC11 Summer School must proceed according to the Guidelines for Organising and Bidding to Host the TC10 / TC11 Summer School.
Click here .
Currently, newsletters are published once a month.
Newsletter Archive contains all newsletters since 2000 and some other information.
How to receive the IAPR TC-11 newletters?
In order to receive the IAPR TC-11 newletters, please join the TC-11 mailing list. You can do so by filling in this form.
The list is hosted at JISC (National Academic Mailing List Service). If you are already a member of this service, you can simply log in to your account, search for the mailing list ("iapt-tc11") and subscribe to it.
- TC11 report September 2016 (docx, pdf)
- TC11 Interim Report - July 2015 (pdf)
- TC11 report November 2012 (docx, pdf)
- - TC-10 / TC-11 Joint Meeting Slides on Nomember 14, 2012 (pptx, pdf)
- - See also 2012 activity report of TC10.
DAS Discussion Groups
The current IAPR TC11 Logo is designed by Eloisa Alquati.
This page is editable only by TC11 Officers .