IAPR TC11 Newsletter 2023 01
Click on the buttons below to view sections of the newsletter.
- Message from the Editor
- Dates and Deadlines
- Upcoming Conferences and Events
- ICDAR 2023
- ICDAR 2023: Call for Papers *(repost with updated deadlines)*
- ICDAR 2023 competitions
- Job Offers
- Permanent (tenured) research job opportunities - Manchester area, UK
- TC11 Datasets Repository
- Highlights on latest dataset submissions
- Where to share datasets
- TC11 Datasets Repository
Dear TC11 members,
I hope 2023 has started greatly for all of you! Many of you are busy finalizing their ICDAR papers, and to those, we share the good news of the deadline extension for paper submission to February 10th, 2023 (make sure to submit the abstract on February 3rd).
In this first issue of 2023, you will also find new job offers and some highlights about recently shared datasets in our field. In other ICDAR-related news, most competitions are now up and running. Find those interesting competitions at ICDAR 2023 Competitions
Nibal Nayef, TC11 Communication Officer
( firstname.lastname@example.org )
Join us! If you are not already a member of the TC11 community, please consider joining the TC11 mailing list. Follow us on Twitter (iapr_tc11): https://twitter.com/iapr_tc11
- February 3 Conference paper abstract submission (23:59 AoE) (FIRM and FINAL) ICDAR 2023
- February 10 Extended conference full paper submission (23:59 AoE) (FIRM and FINAL) ICDAR 2023
- February 28 Proposals due for hosting DAS 2024
Upcoming Conferences and Events
2023 and Later
- ICDAR 2023. San José, USA (August 21-26, 2023)
- ICDAR 2024. Athens, Greece (September, 2024)
ICDAR 2023-related calls:
ICDAR 2023: Call for Papers (repost with updated deadlines)
The 17th International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition (ICDAR 2023)
August 21-26, 2023 San José, California, USA
PDF version of this call: ICDAR 2023 CfP
ICDAR is the premier event for scientists and practitioners involved with document analysis and recognition, a field of growing importance in our current age of digital transition. The 17th edition of this flagship conference will be held in San Jose, August 21-26, 2023. (The conference will be an in-person event).
Feb 3, 2023 Conference abstract submission (23:59 AoE) Feb 10, 2023 Conference full paper submission (23:59 AoE) Mar 26 – April 2, 2023 Conference paper rebuttal period April 19, 2023 Conference paper acceptance notification April 30, 2023 Conference camera-ready paper submission
There is both a standard conference paper track and a journal track at ICDAR 2023; details regarding the journal track may be found in a separate Call for Papers on the conference website.
Reviewing for conference papers will be double blind. Authors should not include their names, affiliations, or acknowledgements in submitted manuscripts, and should ensure that their identity is not revealed indirectly by citing their earlier work in the third person.
Papers may be up to 15 pages long (including references) in Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS) format. Detailed submission instructions for authors can be found on the conference website (https://icdar2023.org).
Topics of Interest:
- Document image processing
- Physical and logical layout analysis
- Text and symbol recognition
- Handwriting recognition
- Document analysis systems
- Document classification
- Indexing and retrieval of documents
- Document synthesis
- Extracting document semantics
- NLP for document understanding
- Office automation
- Graphics recognition
- Human document interaction
- Document Representation Modeling
- Structured document generation
- Multimedia document analysis
- Mobile text recognition
- Pen-based document analysis
- Scene text detection and recognition
- Recognition of tables and formulas
- Historical document analysis
- Signature verification
- Document summarization and translation
- Document forensics and provenance
- Medical document analysis
- Document analysis for social good
- Document analysis for literature search
- Gold-standard benchmarks and datasets
Publication: Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science
The conference proceedings will be published as part of the Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS) series. Accepted papers will be freely available through SpringerLink from the conference website for one year after publication and will later be freely available through SpringerLink for four years after publication.
ICDAR 2023 competitions
ICDAR 2023 competitions are now up and running. Find those interesting competitions at ICDAR 2023 Competitions.
Researchers from academia or industry are encouraged to participate. As usual, each competition has its own website, where one may download the datasets, submission guidelines etc. For any questions, please contact the respective organizers of the competition in which you are interested.
Find below a post about Permanent (tenured) research job opportunities in Manchester area, UK.
Permanent (tenured) research job opportunities - Manchester area, UK
Come and join us at the University of Salford as a University Fellow - a unique research only post for the first 5 years (where you will focus on developing your research programme, with additional financial support) which then becomes a permanent appointment as Reader (Associate Professor). Starting salary in the range of £43,000 - £52,000.
The posts are advertised for several research areas relevant to the university and are competitive across the institution - for AI, machine learning, computer vision, document analysis etc please follow the “Digital Science” topic in the School of Science, Engineering & Environment.
The Manchester area is a major hub for technology and creativity in the UK, as well as being culturally-rich (https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/travel/2021/09/why-manchester-is-the-uks-most-exciting-cultural-hub-right-now) and very well connected internationally. It is also in the National Geographic’s 2023 worldwide top 5 destinations for family travel (https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/article/best-of-the-world-2023-family).
General advert: https://www.salford.ac.uk/research/university-fellows-2023
If you are interested and want to discuss further, please contact Prof Apostolos Antonacopoulos (A.Antonacopoulos@primaresearch.org)
TC11 Datasets Repository
Highlights on latest dataset submissions
- New submissions on the Zenodo community this January: the “DUDE sample dataset” 
- A train set for the upcoming DUDE RRC challenge “Document UnderstanDing of Everything” (DUDE) .
- No recent datasets on the official platform TC11 Datasets Repository. The latest submissions there date from last Spring.
Did you know it? We have two official places for datasets:
- Our historical platform for storage and listing: http://datasets.iapr-tc11.org
- A Zenodo community (if you choose to submit your datasets there): https://zenodo.org/communities/iapr-tc11
TC11 maintains a collection of datasets that can be found online in the TC11 Datasets Repository.
If you have new datasets (e.g., from competitions) that you wish to share with the research community, please use the online upload form. For questions and support, please contact the TC11 Dataset Curator (contact information is below).
Joseph Chazalon (TC11 Dataset Curator)
( email@example.com )
Call for Contributions: To contribute news items, please send a short email to the editor, [Nibal Nayef](mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org). Contributions might include conference and workshop announcements/updates/reports, career opportunities, book reviews, or anything else of interest to the TC-11 community.
Subscription: This newsletter is sent to subscribers of the IAPR TC11 mailing list. To join the TC-11 mailing list, please click on this link: Join the TC-11 Mailing List. To manage your subscription, please visit the mailing list homepage: TC-11 Mailing List Homepage.